Saturday, August 27, 2011

You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

One of the most important questions a writer has to ask himself is do I quit my day job? Or in my case, do I get a day job?

I know a lot of writers start off writing in their spare time after a long day at work or on the weekend. Because it is difficult to make money full-time as a writer at first. I was able to write my first novel while Hubbie continued to run a business. I am just about at the point when I am ready to try to publish that novel and I am working on a second. And I have the potential for a full-time job (not writing).

Writing in my spare time when I have worked a forty-hour week is not something I realistically see myself accomplishing. It almost shames me to say it because if I truly loved writing, which I truly do, I should make the time. That's what all the accomplished authors say. And maybe I will. But what if I don't? What if I leave this second book half-finished and never even try to publish the first? All for the allure of a steady-paying "real" job.

I'm torn. I am in the fortunate position that I have an understanding partner who will support me if I choose not to take the day job and instead pursue my dream of being a published novelist. What if I fail? A steady paycheck is within my reach and as everyone knows, these are hard times. This job opportunity didn't come easy. But what about my writing?

I think I want some kind of guarantee and that's just not possible. I want the proverbial cake and I want to eat it too while knowing before I even take the first bite what the exact outcome of eating it will be.

Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment