Friday, August 26, 2011

When I grow up I want to be... a reality star?

I'm not a fan of reality television. When The Real World began it was fun, when Survivor started, it was cool. Now I can't even watch The Soup anymore because it focuses on too much reality TV trash for my taste.

Who are these people? Why are they famous? Why are we so obsessed?

This media onslaught of coverage of Kim Kardashian's wedding is starting to drive me crazy. I have nothing against the woman. I am not jealous of her success. I am merely baffled by her fame, by all the people who are grappling to find out more about her wedding. What did she wear? Who did her hair? Who attended? Where is she honeymooning? Oh wait, she is on a "mini-moon" (the latest headline) and will take a "real honeymoon" later- what? When her busy work schedule calms down?

I realize I should give Kim Kardashian more credit. She truly is working very hard-- she is working very hard to make sure every move she makes is covered by the media and placed in the public eye and that she is getting paid for it. Apparently endorsements from products she had in her wedding netted her $1.5 million. That is some savvy business deal.

So, little boys and girls, if your dream is to become famous and make lots of money, don't waste your time taking all those singing lessons so you can be the next American Idol. Take a lesson from reality star extraordinaire Kim Kardashian. Put your face out there and once people decide they want to see more of you, make them pay for it, some way or another. Because they will, and you'll be rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment